Monday 18 May 2009

Keeping an Eye on the Water of Leith

I made my first patrol of the Water of Leith today, after a brief induction meeting, during which I was presented with my official Water of Leith Conservation Trust volunteer badge. It was raining for most of the time while I was walking along the river, but that certainly didn't stop the birds from singing, including song thrushes, blackbirds, great tits, chaffinches and chiffchaffs. I saw loads of robins, a couple of dunnocks, a wren, two grey wagtails and a dipper, which was hopping along this pretty tributary.
This evening there was a meeting for all the volunteers who patrol the river, to keep us all up to date with what's happening on and around the river. It was nice to meet the other volunteers!

I'll be patrolling the river every week from now on, and will blog about the highlights.

The Water of Leith Conservation Trust plant sale was very successful, raising lots of money for the trust's work in conserving the river.

5 comments:

RG said...

Looking forward to the reports ... the haiku ... that is the way it is here right now, although the snow on the distant mountains is slowly melting and the river runs grey-green with glacier melt.

Unknown said...

Beautiful photos!

DrDeb said...

Thanks for all the great work you're doing to conserve water, which seems particularly vital as droughts are partly to blame for the skyrocketing water bills around the globe:

http://tinyurl.com/o6vgbg

Thanks for your post!

Janice Thomson said...

I like what they've done to the old tree trunk. Look forward to hearing all about this river.

Jeanie said...

What a wonderful volunteer activity! I think we will all look forward to new and more photos!