Thursday 11 December 2008

Winter World by Bernd Heinrich

In this wonderful book, Heinrich takes us into the winter woodlands of Maine to observe nature and how living things survive the cold. He looks at insects (especially bees), bears and trees but concentrates on the kinglet, a tiny bird closely related to the European goldcrest (one of my favourite birds). The book is full of the enthusiasm of someone who is genuinely fascinated by the natural world and who has the skills of a true field biologist to back that up. Not to mention artistic talent too, the book is full of beautiful line drawings by the author.

The result is a book full of amazing and sometimes incredible facts and details, all told in a gentle conversational tone.

I'm keeping this book, but there are others I'm giving away. You can read more about my Book Giveaway here.

10 comments:

Susan Richardson said...

Thanks for this recommendation - definitely one to add to my 'must have' list!

Dave King said...

I'll put it on my wish list. Thanks for the post.

The Weaver of Grass said...

I love the goldcrest too. Another of my favourites is the long tailed tit - they have just started coming to my bird table - very exciting. Sounds a good book.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book! I'll check the library for it1

Tammie Lee said...

This sounds like a wonderful book to read and also to give as a gift for the holidays. thank you for sharing about it.

Devika Jyothi said...

Surviving the winter -- is not so much of a striking topic to me...may be because our winters aren't so harsh...

But when you introduce the book, it seems something interesting...

Nice post, CGP..

wishes,
devika

RG said...

Wee see the little gold crowns and also red crowns here in the winter .. but it is not very cold. They get so active along the hedgerows and some times in the big bare Lynden right out the window!

Anonymous said...

Heinrich is great; almost anything of his is worth reading. In particualr, I recommend the Mind of a Raven and Bumblebee Economics.

Anonymous said...

Lol, it figures. I love birds and was salivating about this book, even though I just wrote I have too many books. Still, I shall look for it in the library. THanks, J.

Mistlethrush said...

Sounds very interesting - thanks. We occasionally have goldcrest visiting our garden, especially in winter but I don't think I could write a whole book about them.