Friday 1 August 2008

Recycled Gift Box


This gift box is a papier mache punnet, from strawberries I bought at Gorgie Farm, which I painted. It's less bulky than the earlier ones I made.

Gorgie Farm has a produce stall that sells fruit and vegetables that are grown on the farm. Some additional produce sold on the stall is brought in from the Edinburgh Community Food Initiative, which tries to source its produce locally, though some things come from further away. The strawberries are definitely farm produce though, I've been watching their growth with interest over the last week or so and was delighted to find them finally on sale. They're delicious too!

6 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

I do like your strawberry painting. Boyfriend was reading in the New York Times an article about how apples from New Zealand, for instance, can have a smaller carbon foot print than local apples because the trucks and such used locally can be very inefficient. I sighed, it makes things very difficult. Buying local is such an easy guideline!

Jenn: said...

Mmmm. Enjoy them for me as well. I have not found any good strawberries here.

A wildlife gardener said...

Pretty gift box. I love recycling things too. Our strawbs are being harvested now too :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

d.moll- I've heard that too, but when the veg is grown if not organically then at least with very few chemicals, hand picked in the place I work, I think I can safely say its got a very low carbon footprint all round....

Jenn - hope you find some!

Wildlife Gardener - thanks, I love your bee photos btw.

Lucy said...

Ah, some of the crafty bit of CGP!
That's pretty, glad you enjoyed the strawbs.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Totally agree, you have the teensiest footprint! And I don't want to interview our local farmers as to their trucks gas usage, local is still best.