Tuesday 19 August 2008

Jen Hadfield at the Book festival

Yesterday I was lucky enough to hear several poets at the Edinburgh International Book festival, but best and most relevant to this blog was Jen Hadfield, a Canadian Scot currently living in Shetland. Jen has a lovely reading voice, gentle and melodic and her poetry is beautifully made, aware of the natural world and of the rhythms and music of language. Perhaps a poetry that needs to be read as well as listened to, but as she has two books out, there's no excuse not to do that (you can find out about her books by following the link from her name above).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Sounds like it was a great festival.

Thanks,
DavidM

http://uk.poetryinternationalweb.org/piw_cms/cms/cms_module/index.php?obj_id=6963

Susan Richardson said...

I am reading 'Almanacs' at the moment - love the linguistic inventiveness.

J. Andrew Lockhart said...

sounds like a wonderful time!

JKA said...

Thanks for the tip. I’ll check her out. (I wish there were poetry readings in my area…)

Anonymous said...

I have her book Nigh no place and really love it; as you say, she uses sound in an amazing way. I'm jealous you got to hear her read.