Friday 6 January 2012

Reusable Cloth Carrier Bags


I posted recently about the negative impact of plastic waste on the environment. So I thought I would repost these photos of two of my reusable carrier bags, which I originally posted three years ago. The bag above was a gift from my sister and is particularly sturdy, ideal for carrying books. The bag below was given to me at a conference in Turin a couple of years ago and is one of the two I always carry in my handbag so I never need to pick up a plastic carrier bag when I'm shopping.



Remember that bags like this do take more energy to make and transport than do plastic carrier bags. So the trick is to have just a few reusable bags and make sure you use them all the time. I reckon I've used the black carrier bag in the photo at least twice a week for the past five years. And it has several years wear still in it!


Once you have your four or five reusable bags then you shouldn't keep on accumulating more of them (for example, refuse the free cotton carrier that is given out with purchases at certain events, just as you would refuse a free plastic bag at the supermarket).

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are beautiful... I love how convenient they really are... plastic bags rip and tear, and these hold so much, so nicely.

Anonymous said...

Yes, fabulous alternative they indeed are. Time and time again there have been spurts of fashionable realizations towards them over here, but the average man soon forgets and reverts to plastic, sadly...

RG said...

Did you read about Seattle? Proposing a 20 cent extra charge if you want plastic OR paper!

Adds a whole new meaning to "Would you like carry-out help?"

Anonymous said...

I have quite a big collection of fabric shopping bags. My favourite is a calico bag with a Scotty dog screenprinted on it that says: "Doggy Bag.' I have also trained my husband to carry a folded up fabric bag in his work bag and believe me, that is a major feat!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous, besides the uppermost reason of environmentally friendly!

Geraldine said...

I've been using cloth tote bags for many, many years. Long before they became the 'right' thing to do. Isn't it wonderful how our daily choices, small though they may seem, can have such a huge impact x millions of people!

www.mypoeticpath.wordpress.com

Clare said...

Very cool bags! And always having one handy is brilliant -- thanks for the reminder!!
:)

Larry Kollar said...

I've lately gotten to wondering whether it would be possible to weave a nice strong bag out of 20 (or 40, or how many ever) plastic bags. I think if you split them sideways, and twist them into ropes with the handle loops at either end, they would work pretty well as a craft material (and there are probably all sorts of fun things one could do with those loops).

Crafty Green Poet said...

Susie - yes these are the really convenient carriers!

Sumedh - i can never understand the average person's obsession with plastic

Rabbit's Guy - yes I did hear about that...

Selma - I've got my partner trained now too. It was hard work....

Gel, Clare - thanks

Gerladine - me too, I've used them for years (though these two are relatively new)

Farfetched - did you share that idea with me before? It's a great way to use ripped plastic bags, though if they're still in one piece I'd be more inclined to reuse them as bags.

Anonymous said...

I love your blog and thank you for visiting mine and your nice comments on my photos. I am going to link to your blog from mine. We have much in common.

Larry Kollar said...

Hey Crafty, maybe I did. Seeing as we have probably a hundred of the things crammed into a bag-bag, I figure I wouldn't want to wait that long.

I'll have to try it some night.

A Paperback Writer said...

One of my canvas grocery bags is over a decade old and is just now beginning to show signs of wear. :)

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

I confess I am a stranger to any reusable Cloth Carrier Bags. When I remember I use a rucksack for shopping but alas most of the time I forget and arrive home with plastic bags.
And a guilty conscience!
( a resolution for 2012 must be never to forget the rucksack!)

Happy New Year Juliet.

Davide

Ash said...

I agree. They're much better than thin plastic bags that tear off easily.