Monday 6 November 2023

Autumn Colours, Fungi and Hibernating Snails!

 Today I carried out my regular patrol of the Dells alongside the Water of Leith, one of Edinburgh's rivers. The Autumn colours are wonderful at the moment, especially the birches (first photo below) and beeches (third photo)




and there are lovely fungi everywhere - those in the first photo may be Trooping Funnels, but I'm not sure and the rest I really don't know, so if you know what any of them are, let me know in the comments!



The fungi in the last photo above were forming something of a ring near the tree where there is usually a gathering of Garden Snails at this time of year, so I went to have a look and there they were! 


On the way home I popped into North Merchiston Cemetery, where the Beech trees are particularly lovely at the moment


and I was delighted to find these Snowy Waxcaps

5 comments:

Cloudia said...

A crafty restorative walk! Thank You. Aloha

Rambling Woods said...

Oh my gosh.....is that to overwinter? I wonder what snails do here with our very cold weather...

looked it up and I didn't know this.... Studies show that snails have adapted to survive harsh winters. In fact, up to 73% of some snail species can live through extreme weather that reaches lows of 3 °F (-16 °C). And up to 91% of snails make it through mild winters

It does get colder than that here so some must survive though....

Crafty Green Poet said...

Thanks Cloudia!

Hi Michelle, yes that's to overwinter, gathered together for warmth and tucked away out of the worst of the wind or rain. But our winters generally aren't extreme

Sal said...

The variety of fungi in my part of the country is also amazing! We’ve had more in this new garden than we ever had in our old garden and I’m finding it all quite fascinating. A lovely walk…and as I always say, there’s so much out there to see…and all for free! 😁

Shiju Sugunan said...

The autumn colors, as shown in the photos, are stunning. Nice to see the gathering of snails, such beautiful shells.