Monday 11 August 2014

a windy walk by the Water of Leith

It was very windy in Colinton Dell today! It was overcast and chilly too, but there was plenty to see and my favourite dog of the Dells, Mitzi, was very excited to see me, as we've missed each other over the past few weeks.

The cones on the larch tree that I'm studying for Tree Following are maturing nicely, though not really showing much change since two weeks ago.

I saw a lot of insects low down in trees, or on the ground, insects that normally you wouldn't see in those types of places. I'm guessing they had been blown down by the winds, but they did offer nice photo opportunities

green lacewing

does anyone know what species this moth is? The colour is much more beautiful in real life than in the photo.

I also was pleased to catch this marmalade hoverfly in a bindweed flower


and for those of you who liked my harebell photo from a few posts ago, taken in Colinton Dell, it's now avaible in the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop.


3 comments:

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a nice walk except for the wind.. The Green Lacewing is pretty. Nice photos, have a happy week!

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I don't know the species of that moth...but it's beautiful :)

Jenn Jilks said...

Never even heard of them! Thanks for sharing.