Monday 20 May 2013

Upcycled Purse for Cloth napkins

I'm always disappointed when I go to a cafe or restaurant and they offer paper napkins, rather than fabric. I often try to go without a napkin at all, but sometimes it's essential to use one (specially when eating something like fajitas or spaghetti!).

I've sometimes thought about carrying a cloth napkin round with me and was pleased to find one in the stash of crafting supplies a friend recently gave me. I didn't want to carry a napkin loose in my handbag though, so I made this little bag for it. It was very easy to make. it fastens with press-studs, the button is only for decoration.
You may recognise the fabric - I used a length of it to decorate this upcycled gift bag. I'll be making a couple of beaded versions of this bag too and may put one in the Crafty Green Poet Etsy shop!

I know of course that in many restaurants and cafes unused paper napkins just end up in the bin anyway and there's also the issue of the amount of water and electricity used in washing and ironing cloth napkins......

6 comments:

Ms Sparrow said...

What a great idea! I always feel guilty using paper napkins because it's such a waste.

Tommaso Gervasutti said...

And cloth napkins, how much more substantial, how much more skin-friendly...I will never get accustomed to paper napkins...

The Weaver of Grass said...

I agree about paper napkins, I don't like them either Juliet, but I am not sure how they compare with the washing and ironing of damask ones - which is the more eco friendly?

Crafty Green Poet said...

Ms Sparrow, yes its the waste that gets to me too,,.,

Tomasso - and that's a good point as well...

Weaver - well that's my point in the last paragraph, washing, drying and ironing take up a lot of energy too...

RG said...

Lick your fingers?

Many places here now have composting of food-soiled paper products, which you usually can't recycle.

Carol Steel said...

I like the idea if taking a napkin, a cloth one along with me to eat out. They're not much work to clean at home if pitched in with the regular wash and are made from a cotton fabric. Just shake it out and no need to iron. It doesn't take much leftover fabric to create a napkin.