Thursday 9 May 2013

Upcycle and save soap

There's always that moment where your soap bar breaks down into pieces too small to comfortably use. You can squash them together to make a new bar or you can put them in a wee net bag like this one:

The net bag originally contained garlic (normally I buy unpackaged garlic but recently that garlic has been deteriorating really quickly, and I've found that the garlic sold in these little bags is keeping far better, which reduces food waste, even if it does increase plastic netting waste. Eco-friendly shopping is full of such dilemmas!)

I've hung the soap bag over the hot water tap in the kitchen. To wash hands just rub damp hands over the bag then rinse. Well that's the theory anyway!

And it works though I've needed to retie the knot to make it more secure! 

Meanwhile I've added a batch of large and interesting sea pottery items to the Crafty Green Etsy shop

4 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

that's pretty cool.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

My grandmother was a young adult during the Depression and I always knew her to save those last dregs of soap. Oddly, though, I never knew her to acually do anything with them!

Little Miss Titch said...

Great idea!

RG said...

Soap in a bag! Could be big! Never waste even a teeny bit!