Thursday 28 July 2011

Poetry Update

I'm reading short stories and poetry at Havers and Blethers, Captains Bar, Edinburgh at 7.30 on Monday 1 and Thursday 4 August. I took part several times last year and it's generally a very entertaining evening. So if you're in Edinburgh, please feel free to pop along!

I'm reading a short story at the Edinburgh International Book Festival, 4pm, Tuesday 23 August. It's part of the Edinburgh City of Literature. Story Shop project and I'll be reading in the Spiegeltent, which is huge, so there's plenty of space! It's a free event and you don't need a ticket, so if you're in Edinburgh that day, you know what to do....

I'm reading with Mary Johnston and Jane Mary Wilde at Wordpower Books, 43-45 West Nicholson Street, Edinburgh at 11am, Saturday 24 September.


Sketchbook holds a regular kukai (haiku contest). The latest one was on the theme of rainbows and one of my haiku was awarded joint 4th place! You can read all the haiku here. Two of my haiku also get a mention in editor Karina Klesko's comments on the vegetable haiku thread and one is mentioned in editor John Daleiden's comments on the same thread.


I've recently been taking part in the One Minute Writer Prompt, which is a great way of practising writing, you just write for one minute on the given topic, no polishing or anything. I've won the Writing of the Day a few times and even Writing of the week (here and here)!


As ever, text in red contains hyperlinks to other webpages where you can find out more.

8 comments:

Draffin Bears said...

Hi Juliet,

Sounds like you are having a busy time, would so love to be there in Edinborough, would be so much fun.
Wishing you a great time there

Hugs
Carolyn

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting. It is a pity I live to far.

Larry said...

When I read what your up to I miss my sister.She used to publish poems and all that stuff.-Have fun!

Anonymous said...

Good stuff. It was very interesting reading the Sketchbook commentary on the haiku - great way to learn about what makes a good haiku.

marly youmans said...

Sounds jolly and busy... and reminds me that I need to get off my duff and arrange more dates...

RG said...

Edinburgh is hoppin'!

Thanks for the tip on one-minute writing - and a reminder -if you want to write you have to write!

Dr. Cheryl Carvajal said...

Wow, how busy! Good for you!

Your activity and enthusiasm inspire me!

bunnits said...

Sounds neat. Have fun reading and writing.