Friday 15 July 2011

Corstorphine Hill

We had a lovely wander up Corstorphine Hill at lunchtime. It was very warm and humid, with the gathering clouds seeming to promise rain, but it hasn't rained so far!

The hill looks lovely at the moment with all the rosebay willowherb in bloom.




There were lots of soldier beetles about, many of which were feeding on thistles rather than the umbellifers that they seem to usually prefer. Plenty of bees too.




There were lots of rabbits about. One dashed into the rosebay willowherbs at top speed and just where it vanished we noticed a couple of common spotted orchids!


There were a lot of bunnies outside the hotel near Edinburgh Zoo, and I'll share photos of those on Monday, which is after all Bunday!

16 comments:

Kat Mortensen said...

Lovely photos, Juliet. Can't wait for Bunday!

Kat

The Weaver of Grass said...

Bunday??

Isn't rosebay willow herb a lovely flower?

Howard of Belvedere Mountain Express said...

I agree that rosebay willowherb is pretty, but one can have too much of a good thing. It is everywhere at this time of year. If you catch the train between Edinburgh and Glasgow you’ll see nothing but purple the whole way!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Weaver - Monday Bunday - a highlight of the week for bunny bloggers!

Howard - I think you left a similar comment last year when I posted a similar photo!

bunnits said...

Bunday!! Can't wait!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

I should like my name to be Rosebay Willowherb.........
;)

Titus said...

Thanks Poet! We were admiring a horde of soldier beetles today and didn't know what they were.

However, I'm not so fond of the Rosebay Willowherb. Curse of the ditches in these here parts.

Anonymous said...

These are both so pretty! I can't tell it is hot from the photos, with all that green.

Hannah Stephenson said...

Such vibrant colors. How beautiful.

Unknown said...

So amazingly lovely!

EG CameraGirl said...

I really like the name rosebay willowherb! We tend to call it fireweed here because it's among the first life to appear after a fire. I love the colour. :)

eileeninmd said...

I love these colors! Gorgeous photos. Both are wonderful but the first one is my favorite.

RG said...

Fireweed - yes! I thought so! Makes for some great honey around here.

Seems like every day is Bun Day here at "The House ... "!

Anonymous said...

My god, what lovely pictures, can't imagine how nice it must have been to walk there.

Unknown said...

The colour of the blooms on the top shot is just awesome!

marly youmans said...

That willowherb is scrumptious!