Friday 25 February 2011

Creative Recycling

As many people who read this blog know I help to look after part of the Water of Leith, one of the rivers that runs through Edinburgh. The downside of this work is the amount of rubbish that I find. I collect what I can safely collect and report on the rest and I'm happy to do this as a conservation volunteer, but how much better it would be if there were no litter to collect!

Today I was entertained by this piece of interactive art made from waste materials:
Further along my walk I noticed that parts of one of the trees that had fallen during this winter's storms have been given a new life as stepping stones across what is one of the boggiest parts of the Water of Leith Walkway. I'm not sure how much of the dead wood will eventually be cleared away, if left it will become a nice habitat for various plants and animals. Hopefully the fence will be repaired, though it will probably take a while!
Two inspiring pieces of creative recycling using waste materials!

11 comments:

bunnits said...

I always enjoy your photos of this area. Great to see the recycling. I love the musical bottles.

Titus said...

Very inspiring! Two lovely shots too.

Tammie Lee said...

I have known people that take it on themselves to care for a wild area, keeping it clean and sometimes artful. Stewards of the land.

Kay said...

wonderful pics and post

Anonymous said...

Great to see! I watched a show recently about an artist who only uses recyclable materials (straight out of peoples recycling bins) for her huge art installations - they look magnificent.

RG said...

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, and Rot - the 4 "R's"

@Tammie Lee - you can do that too!

Glo said...

Thank goodness there are people like you who take care of the environment! Creative uses of recycling ~

Anonymous said...

Why do people have to clear up dead wood tho ay? Officials don't seem to think of the Dumbledore beetles as they need 5yrs for their grubs to mature! All in the name of health & safety they say :(

Deb G said...

Both ideas look great!

Sandy's witterings said...

I'm sure I wouldn't have resisted the urge to interact with the piece of interactive art.....(continued on your next blog)

Sam Pennington said...

Thanks for sharing this, Juliet. I often find myself feeling cross with people for dropping rubbish, and slightly insane for feeling obliged to pick it up. It's nice to know it's not just me xxx