Sunday 27 February 2011

Bridges and Flower Meadows

This morning I went along to a conservation workday with the Water of Leith Conservation Trust. Over 25 people had turned up to the site of the old Bog's Mill (which was where the first Scottish banknotes were produced). The old mill house is now a private house. The land around where the mill stood is very overgrown, though the old mill lade (millstream) is still visible. We were starting to prepare a patch of very overgrown land so that eventually it can be made into a wildflower meadow, with marsh plants to be planted in the old lade. It was hard work, but we made a real difference and were rewarded with tea and chocolate biscuits! I also saw my first butterfly of the year, a small tortoiseshell! A great spotted woodpecker was drumming on a nearby tree and a buzzard circled overhead for a while.

I didn't have my camera with me, so here is a photo I took earlier this week of the bridge and weir in Colinton Dell. A great place to see herons, dippers and sometimes kingfishers!



As ever, red text contains hyperlinks that take you to other pages where you can find out more!

19 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

This kind of conservation work is so good Juliet as it puts one in touch with so many like minded people. Nice photograph too.

Anonymous said...

What a neat project! Wish I was there to help.

EG CameraGirl said...

I would love to be there to see the bids! :)

cieldequimper said...

That's brilliant. And it sounds almost like paradise!

Francisca said...

That sounds like a fun conservation project to be part of... the results are so satisfying. You share with us a nice little bridge I'd like to cross and look for birds and butterflies. But I don't leave home without my camera anymore... :-D

Crafty Green Poet said...

Francisca - i usually always have my camera with me, but I didn't have anywhere safe to put it while I was doing the conservation work....

Kay said...

Juliet as usual wonderful photos and work! Enjoy your spring like weather!

VioletSky said...

In years to come, you can say, I was at the beginning of this meadow and it was good.

biebkriebels said...

That is a great job you did, I had a great spotted woodpecker too drumming in my garden. He almost damaged half a tree.

Anonymous said...

A very worthwhile days work - you are an inspiration.

Lesley said...

a nice bridge for a spot of birdwatching.

Bill said...

I'll be interested to see photos of the area when its in bloom. These type of visual areas can be effective wildlife habitat, especially for insects. Let us know how it turns out.

Jim said...

Great bridge shot. Thanks for your comment on my blog.

RG said...

That's a dandy sized turnout. Some serious work got done I bet. We all will enjoy the phtos of the blooms!

Oh said...

Julie, Your activities sound lovely and also love your language - so many great words (names of birds and geographical spots) we either don't have or just don't use!

Regina said...

Beautiful place!
Have a great day.

none said...

That is a very lovely millstream.

Glad you got rewarded with tea & biscuits, and a butterfly :-)

Karen M said...

What a great project to be working on. So envious of the weather also, as the soaking wet ice keeps pouring out of the sky here!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

I should like to sit very still there for a very long time......
;)