Tuesday 1 February 2011

Trees along the River of Stones

River of Stones has been a project to share 'small stones' of observation on our blogs through the month of January. I've enjoyed taking part, both writing my own stones here and reading other people's stones on their blogs. I'm generally a very observant person (though I'm also easily distracted and if I'm internally writing a poem all sorts of things can pass me by!) and quite good at taking notes but the River of Stones has helped me to improve in both areas.

Some people will continue the River of Stones with another month in July. I won't do that though - I've felt some of the 'stones' I've shared here have not been polished enough to want to share in ordinary circumstances and the 'stones' sometimes have felt to be cluttering the blog over the past month. So I will keep my future stones in a notebook and only share them (here and on Twitter) if I feel they merit it.

Another project I recently signed up for is Tree Year. I chose a hornbeam as my primary tree to study for this but this tree has been badly damaged in the winter storms and now has been partially cordoned off as the footbridge it grows next to is closed for maintenance work! So my study of this fascinating tree will be somewhat curtailed! Although I have chosen other trees too (a cherry tree across the road from our flat and a group of hawthorns alongside the Water of Leith) what i may well do is just blog about any trees as and when inspired.

5 comments:

Kat W said...

Tree year. As I am tree obsessed ( something I've confessed many a time on my blog, including today) I may just sign up for this! Thanks for introducing the idea.

Kat :-)

Titus said...

I echo your River of Stones thoughts. I am observant of people, far less so of things, and the month really helped me look!

RG said...

Hey! You have a most interesting tree! I don't think there were any restrictions on what might happen to the tree were there? Following the poor hornbeam will be great! Maybe there will be a happy ending - what do they say is the nut of a story? - get somebody up a tree, throw rocks at him, get him back down!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Rabbits' Guy, you're right! I'm not going to abandon the hornbeam, but i won't be able to take the close up photos of the catkins etc that i had hoped to be able to take...

Caroline Gill said...

We shall enjoy your observations, all the same. I noticed someone's tree in The Tree Year was actually a felled tree to start with.