Monday 5 July 2010

Storm Damage

Yesterday afternoon there was wild rain and whistling winds that continued even after the rain stopped. I met a friend for coffee in the afternoon and we walked through Princes Street Gardens, needing to fight our way against the wind.

Today I walked along the Water of Leith as I do every Monday and was shocked by the amount of storm damage. Loads of small branches had been blown from the trees and a fair number of larger branches had been ripped down. The path was almost impassable at one point.

I reported all this to the Water of Leith Conservation Trust, who will sort out clearing the paths of the larger branches.

I had intended to do a post today about a particular species of tree that has been important in the history of the Water of Leith, but as my camera batteries ran out of power before I could take a photo of the tree, that post will need to wait until next week!

If you're interested in finding out more about the Water of Leith, its wildlife and its industrial history there are still places on this course I'm teaching for the University of Edinburgh this summer.

11 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

We just missed the worst of the storms here in the North of England although we had very strong winds which blew down thousands of pine cones from our Scots pines. They are all swept up for now but expect more.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

It's always amazing to emerge from my cottage and see the damage a storm has brought! Powerful things, storms. I suppose that's way Edward is not fond of them.

HKatz said...

Also reminds me of a storm that came through my city, knocking down trees and littering branches everywhere; reminds you that even urban neighborhoods aren't as removed from nature as people think.

Naquillity said...

it's always nice to meet up with a friend and catch up on the goings on.

sorry your walk around the Water of Leith showed so much damage from the rain/ wind. hopefully they can clear the damage soon.

nice capture of the bee below. he must have visited many flowers that day.

Titus said...

Talking to a friend today who lives on the edge of Galloway at the coast and her four-year old grandchild was blown away! A bit.
No damage to child, I hasten to add.

EG CameraGirl said...

So sorry to hear about the damage. I hope the cleanup will not reveal too much destruction.

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Yowza, unsettled weather patterns.....congrats on your class.

Bill said...

We've been having some weather on this side of the pond. Have fun with your course.

Deb G said...

Summer wind storms are a strange thing...

Wullie Fraser said...

Coincidentally, we seem to have walked down the same paths at quite similar times! I too was on Princes Street on Sunday and Gosh was it windy! Do you know, by any chance, if the wind was the reason they closed princes street in one direction? A man told me it was, but I'm not quite sure if I believe him. There were a couple of large-ish branches blown onto the street, though.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Wullie - I think Princes Street was closed because of the fallen branches, though perhaps they should have closed Princes St Gdns as well - it was pretty dangerous in there!