Tuesday 27 July 2010

Big Butterfly Count

If you're in the UK, now is the time to get outside and look out for butterflies! You have until 1 August to spend 15 minutes in an area where butterflies can be found and to report which species you see to the Big Butterfly Count, run by Butterfly Conservation. You can do the survey as often as you like between now and 1 August.

You can find out more on the Big Butterfly Count website, which also includes identification guides and all you need to record your sightings.

My butterfly sightings today included 2 red admirals, 5 small tortoiseshells, one comma and annoyingly one butterfly of another species that flew too quickly for me to identify it!

Which butterflies have you seen today?

10 comments:

angela recada said...

What a wonderful idea! Here in Wisconsin, USA, I'm happy to say I've seen many more butterflies this year than I did last year.

Best wishes for a bounteous butterfly count,
Angela

Nat Hall said...

Hey, Jul.iet :-)
Great initiative! You playing with butterflies and i keeping a daily record of moths here :)
Butterflies,moths, quelle différence?
Nat x

Anonymous said...

This must be the best time to see them, here, too.
Counting sounds fun.

RG said...

No butterflies today - inside too much. But - do you have a poem about a tern or terns?

swiss said...

cool, i've been busy with bees recently but i'll totally do this. mostly we've had red admirals, peacocks and currently a flock of cabbage whites around the garden

Hannah Stephenson said...

I saw LOTS of lovely butterflies in a garden yesterday...but that's here in the States. love the ones you've spotlighted :).

Cathy said...

Sounds like a great idea to me. I have done something similar with counting garden birds for the RSPB. We have seen lots of butterflies whilst out on our walks but some of them do fly too quickly to be recognised.

Naquillity said...

sadly i don't see as many butterflies around here as i remember seeing while growing up. and last night after class i saw a butterfly being crawled on by ants. apparently the butterfly was dying or possibly dead. it was a sad scene.

Lucy said...

I've noticed far fewer this year in general, I think because of the dryness. Our perennial wallflowers which are the big draw aren't up to much this year, though the gatekeepers are enjoying the marjoram again. And I have seen a few swallowtails which we don't get every year, and which seem to indicate it's hotter.

this is my patch said...

Unfortunately I didn't get around to recording mine in the poll, but I saw a Red Admiral, Comma, Holly Blue, Small White, Large White and Peacock. x