Sunday 15 February 2009

Snowdrops in the Snow

The walled garden at Cammo Estate is full of snowdrops now, though they're not all fully out. The garden yesterday was also still very snow covered.

We had a lovely walk round the Estate Grounds, it's a beautiful area and yesterday was full of birdsong. Long tailed tits, blue tits, great tits and chaffinches seemed to be everywhere, all chirping away. As one mixed flock of these birds flitted in the branches overhead a flock of what must have been waxwings flew above the trees, chattering. All this to the accompaniment of constant robin song and the occasional drumming of a great spotted woodpecker, or probably two, duetting. Plus a siskin flying over the frozen pond, muttering to themselves as a crow carefully skated by. We also saw blackbirds, magpies and a thrush (probably a redwing, but as is so often the way with thrushes at this time of the year, it wouldn't let us get the best view)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds absolutely wonderful! very peaceful

Vickie said...

Hi Juliet,
Thank you for leaving a comment on my blog. It has been fun to visit and see some of the birds in your area of the world as well as the new spring arrivals. I will enjoy coming back to spend more time with your poetry.

Lorraine said...

I remember planting some snowdrops in my garden but they are so hard to grow as none have appeared..great photos on your blog and thanks for your great comment on my blog

Mistlethrush said...

A flock of waxwing - lucky you!

Mind you I'm feeling lucky too. I saw my first waxwings today - two of them behind the council offices. But don't tell the council or they'll chop the ornamental rowans down. They chopped down two cherry trees because they said the fallen petals were a health and safety risk. Hmmmm

Veda said...

the first signs of spring always make me think of Robert Frost "Spring Pools."

Veda said...

the first signs of spring always make me think of Robert Frost "Spring Pools."