Monday 23 February 2009

Alder catkins

Alder is one of my favourite trees, I love it at this time of year when the catkins and cones are out before the leaves come out. If you click on the photo to enlarge it you may be able to see some cones on this tree to the right of the photo (alder is quite unusual in having cones and catkins on the same tree). Thanks to Crafty Green Boyfriend for the photo, which he took on Saturday at Arthurs Seat - you can see more photos of that walk in the post below.

7 comments:

Dave King said...

We had an alder in the garden when I was a kid. In the most out-of-the-way scrap heap of a corner. I thought more of that alder than the fruit trees - except fo the plum that was planted the day I was born.

polona said...

ah, they are much more developed than ours...

holly said...

What an interesting tree! I don't think I've seen one quite like it~

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Don't think I've ever seen one of those before....

RG said...

They are just coming out here too .. a first sign of spring for us.

Caroline Gill said...

We were trying to photograph the tiny red 'flowers': couldn't get the camera to focus on them! It was 'determined' to home in on the big branches and gleaming catkins! I always wondered what the 'cones' were called.

Anonymous said...

Interesting.. I didn't know about this tree until now :D I don't think they grow here..