Sunday, 26 February 2006

Zebras in Focus

I think of zebras in Zimbabwe,
see shimmering, stripy signatures
on rotund fairground horses
on Hwange’s endless plain.

You think of the same safari,
remember fiddling with focal lengths,
messing with your light meter
to produce the perfect photograph.

Mounted on black in your album
your memory of zebras in Zimbabwe –
frozen, lifeless images, not perfect
enough for a picture postcard.

I smile and remember the zebras
nuzzling and cuddling each other.
You look bemused and say
you hadn’t even noticed.


(Previously published in Envoi)

3 comments:

Cindy said...

lovely poem! oh how I would love to visit Africa in my lifetime.. to see a zebra in the wild had to be a thrill.
and thanks for dropping by my blog, I'll visit again soon :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Cindy
Thanks for visiting! Zebras are indeed wonderful to see in the wild... I really enjoyed your blog too and will visit again....

Anna Piutti said...

This is very nice!