Thursday 10 August 2023

House Sparrows behaving like Flycatchers

I was leading a birdwatching walk yesterday at Saughton Park today and made sure I arrived early. I spent a nice few minutes standing on this bridge watching a group of House Sparrows flying around and catching insects (probably mostly flying ants, which are around at the moment) in the air above the river. This struck me as fairly unusual behaviour for House Sparrows, I've certainly never seen a group of them doing this together.

I didn't take any more photos during the walk, but we had a nice wander and saw a good variety of birds including: Treecreeper climbing a tree trunk; Greenfinch singing on top of a tree: Goldfinch; Long Tailed Tits (including a large family group); Mallard; Lesser Black Backed Gull; Grey Heron and Robin.

We noticed a lot of gulls flying above the park, possibly feeding on the same flying ants as the House Sparrows.


1 comment:

Jenn Jilks said...

I like that: 'a nice wander!'