Sunday 21 March 2021

InVerse celebrates the world's oldest surviving poems

Today is World Poetry Day! To celebrate  inVERSE is launching a collection of five of the world’s oldest surviving poems, re-imagined for the 21st century as short films. 

Filmed during lockdown 2020, the inVerse series is the brainchild of BAFTA nominated film maker Jack Jewers and features narration from Adam Roche, host of the Secret History of Hollywood podcast.

I've been invited to share one of the films from the series here on my blog. I chose The Dawn as it feels particularly relevant to the current situation in the UK, where recently a vigil for a young woman who had been murdered was policed as though it were a violent protest; a crowded, unmasked, non-socially distanced protest against lockdown was allowed to go ahead unhindered and we're fighting for our democratic right to protest at all. 

I had been asked to embed the film here but technology failed me, so here is a link to The Dawn.

I love the fact that these ancient poems still feel relevant today.  You can view the rest of the films on the InVerse website

 

3 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Impressive - I had difficulty hearing it above the background noise as I am very deaf.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Weaver, I often find there's too much background noise on videos and TV shows and I'm not deaf, so I think it must be particularly difficult for anyone who is.

Lowcarb team member said...

I didn't realise that the 21st was World Poetry Day ...

All the best Jan