Thursday 19 September 2019

The lesbian Donkey - review of an ecofriendly olive oil

Back in July, I blogged about how shocked I was that olive oil production is responsible for millions of birds dying every year (you can read more in my blog post here).

I love olive oil, but I love birds more so I started to search for a bird friendly olive oil.

The one I chose was the Lesbian Donkey which is produced by organic methods on the hillsides of the Greek Island of Lesbos, with olives picked without machinery - the trees are shaken to bring the olives down. Locally available in Edinburgh (from Real Foods).

It's a beautifully packaged product, the bottle design is very elegant and the label is beautifully done. But does the product itself live up to the labelling and ethical standards? 


I've been using Lesbian Donkey for about a month now and I'm very impressed with it. It's a lovely smooth oil and very easy to cook with. I'd definitely recommend it as a quality product, but just as importantly one you can use with no sense of guilt about birds being killed during its production. I certainly wouldn't go back to any other olive oil now.

As ever, red text in this post links to other webpages where you can find out more. 

1 comment:

eileeninmd said...

Hello,

I had no idea birds were dying from olive oil productions. I am glad you found one that is bird friendly. Enjoy your day, wishing you a great weekend ahead.