Tuesday 17 September 2013

Forest of Fungi

Here are photos of some of the fungi that we saw in the forests around Peebles. Neither Crafty Green Boyfriend or I are really interested in foraging for edible wild mushrooms, apart from field mushrooms we don't like the taste or texture. We are however fascinated by fungi! If you can help with identification of any of these, please leave a comment!

 earthballs (above and below)


Calocera viscosa (jelly antler fungus)(above)

a bracket fungus (above)


oyster mushrooms? (above)

all the fungi below are entirely unidentified, any help you can give would be appreciated.....

For Nature Notes

13 comments:

aspiritofsimplicity said...

I am not good at identifying fungi. But, I do know that Beatrix Potter was so good at illustrating and identifying fungi that some of her studies are still used in textbooks!

Andrea said...

That's a lot of fungi shapes, wonderful. I particularly am interested with that yellow branching one, as I've just posted in FB of my orange mushrooms seemingly looking like that. I have some mushroom bags producing oyster mushroom in my kitchen, am fascinated of harvesting what i will cook, very exciting.

Donna said...

I love fungus and mine are just starting to show this fall. You have a beautiful array there.

Carver said...

Wonderful shots. I love the way fungi in all its shapes and forms looks.

TexWisGirl said...

they're so fascinating!

Karen said...

I love fungi, lots of variety here! Great shots!

Hootin Anni said...

With our current rainfall this past couple of weeks, we too have fungus popping up just about everywhere.

The make for some terrific images, as are yours!!

Martin said...

Some weird and wonderful samples, Juliet, very nicely captured.

eileeninmd said...

Lovely captures of the mushrooms. I love all the different shapes. Great shots! Have a happy day!

Caroline Gill said...

What a collection, Juliet! That yellow jelly one is extraordinary. I have not seen many yet, though there are plenty of autumn signs about in our neck of the woods.

Little Miss Titch said...

wow!great photos,but mushroom and fungi info is not my thing,xx

betty-NZ said...

Such variety! Thanks for sharing as I had no idea there were so many different fungi.

Rambling Woods said...

Nice selection Juliet. I love to eat them, but identifying them is hard..... Thank you for linking into Nature Notes... Michelle