Thursday 15 December 2011

Christmas Star from Bunny Felt



Crafty Green Boyfriend's Mum has given us a lovely little Christmas tree! I've decorated it with recycled gift ribbons, an old silver earring (!) and two fairtrade wooden birds that I've had for years. On the top of the tree is a wee star that I made this morning from felt that I made a while ago from the shed fur of Anya, the pet rabbit we used to have. I cut out a star shape in cardboard and then cut round that on the felt. I sewed in three tiny red beads as added decoration. You can make bigger stars of course and use other things, such as wee buttons, as decoration. This felt is not very good quality (I never quite perfected the felting technique!) and its also very thick so the star is pure felt. If the felt is better quality and thinner then you would probably want to make a cardboard star and sew two separate felt stars to it. You can find out how to make felt from pet fur (rabbit is best, but cat also works well) here.

13 comments:

Christina said...

Very nice and an excellent way to recycle shed bun fur.

Carol Steel said...

Thanks for sharing this. I've wondered what to do with all the cat fur that our three constantly shed. Hadn't found anything useful, so just vacuum it up all the time. This is great!

Jade said...

Oooh, lovely idea! Mr. Mick sheds enough fur that I could cover the house in bunny felt.

Anonymous said...

It is just perfect!

Anonymous said...

You're so creative - lovely tree and decos :)

shoreacres said...

Uh - well... I must say, my Dixie Rose does enjoy being brushed, and I have thrown away enough fur to make something substantial. Perhaps I'll give this a go. But first, collect the fur!

RG said...

CGP! Do you want some more bunny fur????

bunnits said...

What a cute little tree!

At the rate my bunnies have been shedding lately, I could do an entire constellation of bunny fur stars.

Wild_Bill said...

What a great gift you gave us all. The ultimate recycling! A true Christmas gift to us all! You seem to be an artist right to your very core!

ashok said...

wow...nice idea!

La Reine said...

That is so cute and curious! I don't have a bunny, but old earrings could definitely add sparkle to a small tree.

Kass said...

I love this tree (a Juniper, I think). You have done lovely things to it.

Karen M said...

It's a beautiful star, and a wonderful way to remember your Sweet One.