Thursday 19 August 2010

RIP Edwin Morgan

Edwin Morgan, the great Scottish poet died today aged 90. He was the most imaginative poet writing in English, and produced wonderful experimental science fiction poems alongside beautiful love poetry.

I was reading at Captain's Bar in Edinburgh this evening and the event started with a wonderful tribute to Edwin Morgan with us listening to recordings of him reading some of his poetry including the wonderful Song of the Loch Ness Monster.

You can read my short review of his collection Holding Hands Among the Atoms here.

He will be much missed.

10 comments:

Gordon Mason said...

Edwin Morgan
Rest In Poetry

JoMo said...

What a loss, sounds like a lovely tribute.

Gerald (Ackworth born) said...

I've a got a CD of him reading his poetry - I'm going to listen to it tomorrow instead of watching TV.

He was a great inspiration to many.

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

May he rest in peace.
I'm off to read some of his poetry now.

bunnits said...

Sorry to hear of his passing. Time to read some of his works again.

Naquillity said...

i'm sorry to hear this Crafty. may he rest in peace.

RG said...

Left plenty to remember him by.

Hannah Stephenson said...

A loss. I look forward to reading his work (thanks for introducing me to it).

The Weaver of Grass said...

Wonderful man, wonderful poetry, wonderful legacy he has left behind, Juliet.

Cathy said...

I love Carol Ann Duffy's tribute to him "He was poetry's true son and blessed by her". He will be much missed.