Wednesday 28 March 2018

From a Train Window

ploughed field -
two herons stand
motionless

*********************
hay bales dot fields -
.......snow on distant hills

*********************
dusk -
a thin mist
on the fields.

**
I posted these haiku here back in 2008 and I've reposted them prompted by Jacquie Pearce over on Wild Ink calling for haiku, haibun, tanka and rengay inspired by trains and train journeys for an anthology she's editing. You can find out more here.  

**
I was delighted to find my poem Watching the Skies appearing today on the Plum Tree Tavern site, you can read it here

Meanwhile over on my Shapeshifting Green blog I've just posted a poem that was originally published on the Camel Saloon the forerunner to the PlumTree Tavern. You can read it here.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful. Classic English landscape poetry painting with just enough Japanese haiku influence to give depth and sensibility but still in motion through the train window. Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I feel quite serene after reading this. Your poetry often does that to me. Your imagery is tender in this piece. A treat.

Gordon Mason said...

haiku glimpses from a train window really works. I like them....but should the print not be a bit shoogly?!

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Nice, I can hear the wheels on the track too.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Three lovely images from the train window.
The leaves on your banner are so restful I want them in front of my eyes all day!

polona said...

wonderful impressions, and more than that...

Anonymous said...

Very deftly done.

Janice Thomson said...

Excellent verses Juliet love the imagery of that last one so much.

RG said...

Just the way it looks along our road these days ....

Anonymous said...

Lovely! I live in the city, with all that hustle and bustle. This piece just made me feel so serene & peaceful :) It's a nice feeling.

abby - the geek girl said...

I love writing about what I see out of car windows (or in this case... train) it's such a beautiful compilation of fleeting glimpses through glass.

jem said...

Great that you managed to capture such treasures on your way from A to B.

Anonymous said...

I felt like I was looking out the window. I'll bet you enjoyed that ride.

Linda S. Socha said...

I love your blog! Thank you. I am glad to have found you. I enjoy the uplifting feeling your posts inspire. Thank you!
Linda

Jacquie said...

I'm always amazed when such simple wording can evoke such vivid images. Nicely done! Makes me yearn for a contemplative train trip....

rivergardenstudio said...

Your poetry is lovely... Thank you for transforming me out into the misty fields with the heron! Roxanne

Scot said...

a haiku journal--no better way

Lowcarb team member said...

So good to read your haiku's.

All the best Jan

Sandy said...

three beauties!

from last summer

Fore River
an egret knee deep in
a rising tide