Tuesday 19 June 2007

Threes

I've been tagged by Na of Shadows and Clouds for the 'three things' meme.


Three jobs I’ve had:
1. Science Teacher
2. Charity fundraiser
3. Charity regional manager (it's a very small charity!)

Three places I’ve lived:
1. Manchester, UK
2. Malindi, Malawi
3. Edinburgh, UK

Three places I’d like to visit which I’ve never been:

1. Norway – got very close having booked a cruise round the fjords for this May but the tour company cancelled the trip!
2. Tuscany, Italy
3. Finland

Three most unforgettable places I’ve been on holiday:
1. Okovango Delta, Botswana
2. Victoria Falls, Zimbabwe / Zambia
3. Italy

Three things that bring me comfort:
1. My partner and friends
2. Nature
3. A good armchair

Three of the most memorable books I read last year:
1. The Last Report on the Miracles of Little No Horse - Louise Erdrich

2. Einstein's Dreams - Alan Lightman
3. Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World - Haruki Murakami

Three books that I started because I felt I ought to, but didn’t finish:
1. Demian by Herman Hesse (in German) – I took this to a conference in Italy, as there were Germans there & I wanted to practice German! I’ll try again as Hesse is my favourite writer in German.
2. The Feast of the Goat – Mario Vargas Llosa – don’t like his style.
3. The Redundancy of Courage – Timothy Mo – don’t like his style either

Three songs that give me goosebumps:
1. My Lady’s Story - Anthony and the Johnson’s. (I may have the wrong title here but it’s on the soundtrack of the Italian film The Family Friend)
2. Untitled #4 by Sigur Ros
3. La Voix du Sang - Transglobal Underground

Three loved films from my childhood. I actually very rarely went to the cinema as a child and the only memorable children’s film I saw was:
1. ET
So for number 2 we have the first film that made a huge impression on me which was
2. The Emerald Forest, which was the film that really made me start to take environmentalism seriously.

The last three films I saw are:
1. Water (Deepa Mehta, India)
2. After the Wedding (Susanne Bier Denmark)
3. The Lives of Others (Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck, Germany)

Three things I didn’t do as a child that I wish I had, though I don’t do regrets as a rule:
1. had a pet
2. played outside more often and more adventurously
3. learned to knit

Three things I’d like to do that I haven’t done yet:
1. have a full poetry collection published
2. teach evening classes
3. review for a national newspaper or major magazine



If you want to join in, please feel free! Leave a comment here so I know where to find your answers!

11 comments:

Lesley Todd said...

Hello! I enjoyed reading through your answers. It took me a lot longer than I thought it would to think about the songs when I was doing mine because there were sooo many to choose from! I don't think I've seen The Emerald Forest. I will see if I can get hold of it.

Heartful said...

I enjoyed your answers too...wasn't The Lives of Others wonderful!?!?!

shadows and clouds said...

hello there! thanks lots for playing! i've heard lots about 'the lives of others' but have never seen it, i am ever more curious! you've travelled to such amazing places!! norway is pulling me so much at the moment, but it'll have to wait for more money and time! the books look fascinating, haven't heard of them but i love the little no horse title and am once again curious!

sanremo is probably nice to spend a short visit, living there is less fun, too many contrasts of very rich and very poor and too much traffic too. other parts of ligura i found extraordinary though!
have a good day :)

L.L. Barkat said...

I loved your three things... all 18 or so of them. :)

Crafty Green Poet said...

Lesley - yes i found it difficult to choose songs particularly. I hope you find a copy of the Emerald Forest, I should eatch it again myself!

Heartful Blogger - oh yes its a wonderful film! (So are the other two, would definitely recommend them!).

Na - Norway is pulling me too, but obviously its not meant to be just yet! So we were right to not spend too long in San Remo!

l l barkat - thanks!

Marcia (MeeAugraphie) said...

I enjoyed reading your list, because it is so different from what mine would be. It is interesting to learn about books or movies that I'm not familiar with. Reminds me how big the world really is,in spite of the internet.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

I really enjoyed reading your "Threes". Here is where you can find mine

http://silvervalleystories.blogspot.com/2007/06/three-thingsbut-only-if-you-are-curious.html

Le Butterfly said...

Sounds like you lived a very interesting life!

Beaman said...

Finland and Norway are top on my lists of must-go places too. :)

iamnasra said...

How about Oman ...My first visit in here ...I like the green feel on your blog

Crafty Green Poet said...

iamnasra - I've never thought of Oman, I must say!

Marcia - yes i like seeing the different answers people give for these things!

Silver Valley Girl - thanks for joining in and posting your link!