Tuesday 20 August 2024

Searching for Butterflies on Corstorphine Hill

I did a butterfly survey today around Corstorphine Hill. It was windy, just at the edge of being too windy for a butterfly survey, but within appropriate limits (which is just as well, as the weather isn't looking great for the rest of the week). The hill has some wonderful views

The Rowan trees are covered in bright red berries just now, and look amazing

I didn't see very many butterflies, unfortunately, just a handful of Large Whites and Speckled Woods and one Holly Blue. I got great views of the pair of Buzzards that nest in a tree in this part of the hill. 

It started raining heavily, about fifteen minutes after I'd finished my survey! 

**

This week's post on the Crafty Green Poet Substack is all about the benefits of wildlife recording

**

I'm delighted to have a haiku included in the Birds selection on Haiku Girl Summer.

No comments: