Thursday 19 May 2022

Wall Butterfly!

Despite the weather forecast a few days ago predicting clouds all week, we've had some lovely sunny weather over the past few days.

This morning I visited Portobello Cemetery, continuing my wildlife surveys of Edinburgh's council managed cemeteries. This is a large cemetery with lots of interesting plants, including Star of Bethlehem 

lots of Germander Speedwell 

a few flowers of lesser stitchwort


 and lots of Marchantia polymorpha (a liverwort) that looks like a miniature forest

There weren't as many pollinating insects around as you would hope to see at this time of year, but I was delighted to see a pair of Wall Butterflies - the first time I've ever seen this pretty species 






3 comments:

Caroline Gill said...

I'm so pleased you saw the pair of Walls, CGP. They are beautiful. I had never seen this species before our move to Suffolk.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Caroline - they are very pretty aren't they?

eileeninmd said...

Pretty butterflies and lovely wildflowers.
Take care, have a great day and happy weekend!