Sunday 22 July 2018

Ravens on Arthurs Seat



Yesterday evening we walked up to a favourite part of Arthur's Seat hoping to see swifts gathering to feed. In previous years at this time we've often seen up to 100 swifts together here and earlier this year (during this lacewing training day in fact) I saw twenty. Yesterday however, it wasn't to be, we saw only two swifts all evening, possibly the high winds were keeping them away.

What we did see though were the ravens, which are magnificent birds



Most people probably think of ravens as birds of the wild lands and the Highlands but here they are in the centre of Edinburgh.

6 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

I love all the birds. Ravens are special, though.

Gwil W said...

They are very intelligent. I put a stick in a cage where there were two ravens. At first they looked it with suspicion. Then one approached and kicked it. And immediately withdrew. They decided it was an inanimate object and then they played a game with it. Instead of looking old depressed they really brightened up delighted that someone had given them a 'toy' and they kept me entertained for 10 or 15 minutes, always glancing now and then to see if I was watching.

Lowcarb team member said...

Nice to see your photographs.

All the best Jan

Lynn said...

Oh my goodness - that last photo is marvelous!

So sorry I haven't been on your blog much - I haven't really been on anyone's much. Lots going on - nothing bad though. :)

Waynethorpe said...

They where dropping stones from 20 m high down on us see it happen and returned to pick the same stone up and flying back up almost vertical to drop the stone again why they where doing this don't know but the 1st time that stone was close to hitting me and would off been quite painful

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Wayne, that's weird behaviour! I know crows often drop things, but it's usually things like shellfish, which they hope will smash on the ground