Friday 3 July 2015

Orchids by the roadside

Beautiful to see these common spotted orchids and other flowers in a roadside verge on Corstorphine Hill





This is just near the Corstorphine Hill Local Nature Reserve

where the meadow is looking lovely at the minute, though we didn't find any orchids in this area of grassland (though it is a big area and we only had an hour for lunch!)

We saw several butterflies, including what looked like a speckled wood (but as I mentioned in a previous post, these aren't supposed to be in Edinburgh!) a red admiral and several ringlets as well as white butterflies. None of them were even remotely interested in having their photos taken!

Lovely to see several bees too and by co-incidence, I have a poem about bees up on Verse Wrights today


9 comments:

TexWisGirl said...

so pretty.

eileeninmd said...

A lovely spot, I am glad it is a nature reserve. Lovely flowers. Have a happy weekend!

Bill said...

no speckled woods
in Edinburgh, but –
a speckled wood!

(Giving it the benefit of the doubt)

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Hiya Juliet!
Liked your furrybee poem. Have seen just a few more around here this year, too. Which gives me hope.
I am sixty years old. A "young sixty" as they say, but sixty still. Hope is something I will take where ever I can get it.

Independence Day w/e here. I think of Benjamin Franklin's words,"We have to hang together or we will surely hang separately." That is how it is on the earth today. And that is why a few more bees give me some hope.

:) m & jb


sage said...

Lovely!

RG said...

Pretty!

Our back yard has Red admiral, Lorquin's admiral, Yellow swallowtail, Comma, Cabbage white, and Mourning cloak butterflies plus some dragon files I don't know. It has been fun learning to identify them!

Anonymous said...

how dare they not want there photos taken! ;)I will check out your poem.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Hi Maureen, always good to be able to find hope. Thanks for reading my poem

Rabbits Guy - that's a lovely list of butterflies to have in your garden!

Bill - nice ku, thanks!

Donna said...

Oh those are beautiful wildflowers