Thursday 4 December 2014

I Don't Know I said by Matthew Savoca

I Don't Know I Said is a road trip of a book, much in the style of Jack Kerouac's On the Road. Nothing much happens, the two main characters spend most of the book wandering around wondering what they're going to do with their lives. I Don't Know I said is the most common line in the book, though I didn't count how many times it occurred.

What I loved about this book is that although it is in no way deliberately an environmental book, the two main characters are trying most of the time to live in environmentally friendly ways. They look for ethical restaurants that offer vegetarian options, they're interested in sustainable agriculture, they talk about a museum of recycled art and in other ways think about and live out environmental principles. But they don't make a big deal about it, it's just the way it is. I think it's important that environmental ways of living are mainstreamed in literature in this way (though this isn't in iteself a mainstream book by any way of looking at it!).

Worth reading, particularly if you're a fan of Kerouac.

I Don't Know I Said by Matthew Savoca published by Publishing Genius Press

4 comments:

Maureen @ Josephina Ballerina said...

Maybe I'll read it, but I don't know. ;)

RG said...

Well it surely is well liked by all who read it, but from all the descriptions and reviews it did not sound a lot like On the Road which was much more about a time and behavior and quite a number of very bizarre people.

But still - to be able to travel-wander about with your pal's money to try to find yourself ... OK!

Crafty Green Poet said...

Maureen :)

Rabbits Guy - fair point, but the way its written reminded me of On the Road, plus the directionless travels the protagonists indulge in

Magyar said...

Perhaps the better way to -say- what we believe, is that we provide... -silent, but quite visual- accopmlishments. _m