Wednesday 31 August 2011

Rivers and Canals

I found out at the last minute about this conference about multiple benefits of river basin planning (I'm not sure how long the information about the event will stay online at the link I've given there). I was pleased to be allowed to go along to represent Water of Leith Conservation Trust. It was an interesting event (though it felt a lot of the time like information overload with lots of data about river conditions for a large number of rivers). It's good to see people working together on such important issues as flood risks, invasive plant control, pollution control and biodiversity enhancement.

The event was held at the Rock Climbing Centre and the room we were in had a view over the rock climbing walls (which gave me vertigo just to look at, though some of the climbers were very impressive to watch). This centre is a 15 minute walk from the nearest bus stop, a walk which goes along a lovely stretch of the Union Canal. So I took a few photos along the way.





6 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Sounds interesting - and lovely photographs too.

RG said...

Nice walking site! The conference link would not work for me. If you have some other link to that conference, would you please let me know? We do a lot of that here as well and it will be good to compare notes about organization, how the conference goes, etc ...

Mimi Foxmorton said...

Lovely!
And so Green!
;)

Gillena Cox said...

nice pics, thanks for sharing

much love...

bunnits said...

I love the photos. Some years ago greenways were constructed for walking along several of our creeks and along part of the Tennessee River at Ditto Landing. One near us has an outdoor classroom for two nearby elementary and middle schools. I think it was a great idea to include this in the planning.

I hope the conference has beneficial results.

Leora said...

This looks like a fun, historical place for a hike.