Wednesday 17 February 2010

Repurposed Diary







I've talked before of how I make my own diary every year (you can see one in this post). However I also always buy a pocket diary from Oxfam to carry in my handbag and to use for work. This year I decided to repurpose last year's Oxfam diary to make a notebook. I ripped all the inside pages out then I wrapped the diary in reused wrapping paper (which is too shiny to photograph well!) and decorated it with a silhouette of a chough, based on a photo from the RSPB. I then lined the bookcover with some old blue paper that had been used on one side, clean side up of course. Then I made a booklet of white paper offcuts from reused work papers and sewed these together then glued them into the book. It's not perfect but its not bad for a first attempt!

14 comments:

PurestGreen said...

Well done! I love the silhouette. Something personal like that can draw extra inspiration from the keeper of the book.

JoMo said...

I really like it, there's something about a diary made from recycled bits and pieces. Very personal and cozy. The colors you chose are perfect, cheery - important for something you have to look at again and again. It also looks like there is a nice tactile quality to it.

Last year I made a journal and decided to insert some leftover graph paper of various types - squares in cm and teeny mm. I loved the little boxes/squares for writing & doodling on.
Enjoy your creation :)
Cheers,
Jo

Jasmine said...

This is such a lovely activity. I always enjoy upcycling xJ

steven said...

crafty green - really good!!! i love journals a lot. especially when they have cool covers. steven

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Crafty plus a bit of bibliosurgery!

RG said...

Every entry will be extra special ..

Michelle May-The Raspberry Rabbits said...

I think you did a great job! Your words will make it even more beautiful!
yf,
shell

Unknown said...

Looks great. I have made a few of my own journals. I think the handmade look personalizes them even more.

Catpad said...

it's awesome!

=)

Mega hoodia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
jdoe7 said...

I never thought of making a diary from recycled bits and pieces how innovative. I love your photos.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Robin Rule said...

It is so good to see someone else make journals.I just started for this year, a little late, the series for 2010. (i number them) Usually I make them completely from scratch: 18th century
pasteboards (i have a cousin in the old book trade and if the covers or insides are damaged, he passes them my way. And sew signatures in with my treadle sewing machine. I love to decorate the covers almost more than the writing in. This year I was very ill (still am) and in bed for two months, so I had someone pick me up a decent enough journal and then I completely changed the cover.Like Purest Green,I love yr silhouette. In fact, you've inspired me to write a blog about journals.