Wednesday 15 April 2009

Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler

This is an account of the author's time in Antarctica as an official writer in residence. She writes engagingly about the pressures of life for the scientists who live on the bases on the continent as well as about the amazing landscape, wildlife and weather. The writing is sometimes very entertaining and sometimes very beautiful, especially in the descriptions of landscape and penguins. The whole book is very insightful and its definitely worth reading.


Terra Incognita by Sara Wheeler, published by Random House


Best followed by a trip to the cinema to watch Encounters at the End of the World, Werner Herzog's latest film, in selected cinemas now.

8 comments:

d. moll, l.ac. said...

Looks like a great book, I'll keep my weathered eye out for it in our used bookstore....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing!
Love the banner photo [that's nettle on the right, isn't it?]

Crafty Green Poet said...

It is a great book, d.moll!

Marina - its white dead nettle,

Catherine said...

I wonder which scheme she went there under? New Zealand has an amazing "Artists in Antarctica" programme which sends around three artists from various fields ranging from musicians to poets, to the Antarctic every year.
There has been some great work inspired as a result.

Renaissance said...

This sounds awfully interesting.

Jules @ Lovely Las Vegas said...

I've read that book. Still have it on my shelf... it is wonderfully crafted book!

jem said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I've long been a fan of cold books, but recently I did an alternate lives I would have lived (for the Artists Way course I'm on) exercise and found I wanted to be an antarctic explorer. This book will have to suffice!

Susan Richardson said...

One of my all-time favourite books! It's one I keep returning to again and again.

Can't wait to see the Werner Herzog film...