When you think of bees, you probably think of honey bees and bumblebees, which are all social insects. However, not all bees are social, most bees in the UK in fact are solitary bees. Yesterday Crafty Green Boyfriend and I attended an excellent Introduction to Solitary Bees event, organised by TWIC (The Wildlife Information Centre). You can read more about it in this week's Substack post.
The photo below shows a female Hairy Footed Flower Bee, my favourite solitary bee! These bees can be seen in Edinburgh's Botanic Gardens in the Spring.
I'm sad as I love solitary bees, but they are all gone by high summer
ReplyDeleteHi Simon, yes many of them have a very short season (as adults anyway)
DeleteI always enjoy reading about bees as there is so much to learn about each species, their role and their distinctive behaviors, plus I recently did a talk on pollinators!
ReplyDeleteI agree, there's loads to learn about all the bee species! I would have liked to hear your talk about pollinators
DeleteI do like that photograph.
ReplyDeleteAll the best Jan
Thanks Jan
Delete